Menika van der Poorten’s photography includes personal exhibition work and freelance commissions. She has exhibited widely, both locally and internationally. Her photographic practice is informed by living between different cultures and communities. Interested in different ways of narrating stories Menika is influenced by memory, spaces, and personal stories. Menika has been involved in Photographic education both here and in London for over 20 years, The development of photography education is one of her major areas of interest as is the concern for promoting documentation.
- Gang rape and murder of a school girl
- Evicted under the World Bank’s Watch
- Power mapping
- A Choice between Stability and Virtue?
- The rape and murder of Vidya: Do women really matter in Sri Lanka?
- A Panopticon state: We must not wait until they come for us
- Post-war Sri Lanka: 6 years and still an open wound
- NO to Animal Cruelty. YES to Animal Welfare Bill
- A tale of two Presidents, six years after the war
- Tamils in North & East Sri Lanka remember those killed despite intimidation and surveillance